Wednesday, June 17, 2009

tirade of the day

Last week, the NYTimes had an article on Mormon missionaries who come home and go into sales using many of the same tactics they learned on the mission. When I saw this article, my heart sank. (Mormon missionaries to salesmen ). I'm no expert on missionary work, but something tells me that a message so wonderful deserves to be taught in a different method than sales tactics. (Granted, missionaries are NOT taught to employ the mirror approach etc, and yet I cannot deny a definite business like model).

While Stephen claims that his major studying dictators and genocides should qualify for the most depressing, I'm afraid studying consumption and advertising is much worse for me, perhaps because I cannot distance myself from it or because it is so much more subtle and damning in its effects. Rarr.

I think I'm going back into my Gandhi phase and I might go a little extreme for a while. Wait, maybe not since I just spent 90 bucks on groceries last night. So much for trying to eat healthy.

2 comments:

Sondra said...

Did Michael has his class read the article by Tarjan called something to the effect: "Heavenly Father or Chairman of the Board?" If not, I think you would find it interesting. Howard Bahr has a copy of it, so you can run across the hall and ask to read it.

Astromom said...

Rachel, the difference is the Truth, The gospel is truth, it is not something to sell, but it is important for the missionaries to present themselves well so they will be listened to because God has commanded us the share. Anyways, I do understand your frustration, I love you dear sis.