Friday, August 26, 2011

hurricanes, earthquakes, and pre-term labor?

Sunday's forecast for Philadelphia? We get the left over hurricane coming up the coast. And yes, this time we'll go prepared to Church with umbrellas, a stroller rain cover, or perhaps just taking a zipcar.

Stephen was quite excited to feel the earthquake earlier this week. I would have been excited too, but I didn't feel it since I was in our sturdy kitchen and not sitting at our not so sturdy desk we put together ourselves like Stephen was.

(thanks Brittany for passing along the picture)

As if hurricanes and earthquakes weren't enough movement for one week, it seems that my uterus has decided to join the party of wanna-be big, but only mild movements.

Yup, Rachel is having contractions and is dilated to a 2 (when you hit 10 is when you start pushing the baby out). But actually lots of women are dilated for weeks and weeks and are just fine and it appears that my contractions are lamo contractions (and yes we want lamo contractions at this point) so hopefully I can stay at a 2 for a while yet). They gave me some shots to develop little Simeon's lungs just in case. But since I'm only just 8 months pregnant today and have two more months to go (they don't tell you this beforehand, but 9 months of pregnancy means 9 full months) we're being cautious and taking it easy. What does "easy" mean? It means Stephen makes me one-eyed jacks at 11 o'clock at night and I sit and read books about Indian cuisine (it makes me hungry even if I just end up eating PB&J's), browse Craigslist for kitchen tables, and write blog posts about my justified laziness. Granted the doctor didn't put me on bed rest so perhaps it isn't justified, hmmm. Still when she tells me to take it easy, but that I'm not on bed rest I've deduced from these instructions that I probably shouldn't walk 5 miles in one day like I did on Wednesday and that this is as good as time as any to enjoy Stephen's previously hidden cooking skills.

p.s. There are a lot of pregnancy symptoms no one ever tells you before you're pregnant, but just in case you're wondering I'll share the secrets so you can't say no one ever told you they didn't and at the same time use this opportunity to complain to the world:
-nose bleeds
-feet grow (even if they haven't swelled up)
-eyesight worsens (and though they say it should go back to normal, I don't think mine ever did)
-when you drink water, it goes through immediately and then the nurses tell you that you might just be dehydrated even though you just drank more water than it takes to put out a forest fire.
-leg cramps that hurt more than childbirth in both legs and feet simultaneously
- You might have already guessed this one, but: a preoccupation with your own pregnancy to such a degree that people stop reading your narcissistic blog.

8 comments:

Judd & Leslie Zimmerman said...

HA!!! I Love love this blog post. Maybe because I can relate to the pregnancy symptoms so well. And it is true. Those are symptoms "they" never tell you about. At least your husband can cook. My husbands idea of cooking is making a pb&j. Enjoy your relaxation... justified or not. And good luck!!

Beth said...

Ha ha, no one will read your blog posts except other pregnant ladies who are equally preoccupied with pregnancy :D I think you're hilarious Rachel, and I too love complaining about my pregnancy symptoms. If you don't complain nobody knows you're miserable!!! Complain away, I say.

Ruth said...

my poor grumupy sister who complains that I never talk to her enough but won't read the books I recommend. She's stuck in an earthquake, in labor and having the roof torn off of her aparment by Irene. Here I am in beautiful San Diego with a roof I don't need, no nose bleeds and three perfectly behaved children sitting on the couch folding their arms quietly...

hosander said...

I think it's fair to say that complaining is a symptom of pregnancy. People just need to accept that fact right now.

Robin Cranney said...

Eyesight? No Way! I am glad to hear that, because around my 8 and 9 months with Gabe I thought my right eye was going blind. I couldn't focus on far away objects with it and wondered if maybe I was reading too much. But now it is better...creepy.

Stephanie said...

Glad to hear Simeon is staying inside for now. I'm excited to see pictures of him when he comes, but don't come out too soon, little guy! I still like reading your narcissistic blog, want to hear more about your adventurous life.

Lori said...

Oh, wow, you guys are really keeping things exciting over there! I hope that you do take it easy, and keep blogging away--we're all anxious to hear how you're doing in Philly.

Becca Bird said...

You are SO Funny! I love reading your blogs! Good luck keeping the baby in there. I think you should take even MORE easy, put Stephen to work.