Tuesday, January 25, 2011

the things we learn

As a parent you can learn so many things from your children. The latest for me was a new way to study my scriptures, especially the Old Testament. You see, I always studied my scriptures by reading them (so unoriginal). It wasn't until this morning when I saw Kumquat with the scriptures that I realized I was doing it all wrong. What was I doing reading the scriptures when I could have been tearing them to shreds and listening to the noise the pages made?



The first time Kumquat studied the scriptures like this, he ripped out a section from Doctrine and Covenants where the only scripture highlighted was this:

"But little children are holy, being sanctified through the atonement of Jesus Christ."

So that's how our holy little Christian studies his scriptures. Unfortunately for me the only lesson learned was to keep scriptures away from curious kumquats.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

so funny! Way to go Christian!

Bags said...

Rachey, I love the way you write. I can just hear you telling this story, and it makes me laugh out loud.

Robin Cranney said...

Hah hah! I know what you mean. Our conference edition Ensign is getting narrower and narrower as the days go by. Of course, he doesn't touch my horse magazines.

Franziska Patterson said...

Hahaha, I had to laugh out loud for this one! Yep, they're holy, and don't you forget it.

Sophia actually enjoys "reading" scriptures. She loves when I point at what I'm reading and then she'll repeat everything I read, so she is reading, too. That's, of course, because I've been reading the scriptures out loud to her every day since she was born. She's already heard the whole New Testament and almost the whole BoM. Old Testament is next.

Jenny said...

Oh, that's so funny!

Lisa said...

Oh sad for your scriptures! But very funny story. I liked the Francis books too. :)