Sunday, April 4, 2010

More bedtime stories?

When I was a teenager my brother who was away at BYU Idaho sent me the book/short story The Wise Woman by George MacDonald. I was flattered at thinking my brother thought I was a wise woman, but because it had a weird cover I didn't read it for a couple years. To my chagrin, when I did read it I found that it wasn't so much a story of a wise woman, as much as two spoiled girls. I think my brother was trying to drop a hint. (MacDonald was one of C.S. Lewis' inspirations and reading MacDonald I definitely can see the similarities between the two. So if you liked Narnia, you'll probably like this.) Anyway I just read it again and perhaps because I'm a parent I noticed what great parenting techniques it had.




Another great one is The Very Persistant Gappers of Frip.
This is actually quite a good book for children or adults (we read it in one of my sociology classes).

Anyway, Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm always looking for good books. I'll have to check these out!