Saturday, August 1, 2009

not by the hair of my chinny chin chin


Alright, I've seen quite a few pictures of straw houses. Most of them look more like alien dwellings than actual homes. I have to say though, I was quite impressed with this one. All you home owners out there, doesn't a home that cost 25,000 to build plus 15,000 for a septic tank and well sound not too shabby? It's in simmilar price range to that of my yurt, but I may have an easier time getting this home pass zoning laws. Anyway. I thought it was beautiful. NYtimes has a slide show with more pictures of the inside.
And what's my favorite quote from my latest readings?
"If consumption of mass-produced goods could be equated with free choice, then the direction of consumption could appear to be a new and liberated role. The modern house wife, [Christine] Frederick proclaimed in her public lecture, 'is no longer a cook--she is a can-opener."

4 comments:

Ruth said...

very cute house.

Mary said...

Abby thinks you shouldn't build a house of straw because the big bad wolf will blow it down. My concern is rot or mold growing in the straw. But who knows, it might be a good idea.

Franziska Patterson said...

Wow, this is awesome. I think, Henry and I will look further into something like this. Imagine if you did this kind of straw house, and invested $150,000 instead of his $40,000, what an awesome house you could have!!!

Jennifer Dix said...

Very cool! Makes me think we don't need to carry so much insurance on our overpriced CA bungalow... let the earthquake take it down, and we'll just rebuild me one of them $40K straw bale homes!

From whence is your quote at the end?