Friday, May 22, 2009

Two red lines

So as I idled awayed my TA hours this morning, I looked and realized that I have indeed made my 12 week mark and that it is 12 and not 14 that marks the end of your first trimester so I guess I can go ahead and make it public: I (Rachel) am pregnant.

So Stephen and I had been pretty baby hungry for a while, and I was convinced that I would be like my namesake in the Bible and have to wait years and years to have chidren. Looking back, my fears were not really justified, but what fears are, eh?

Anyway, back before we knew my sister had informed us that dollar store pregnancy tests were available. I had gone through at least 7 already in our 5 months of marriage (even though I was sure I would never have kids, I also always thought I was pregnant as well). When once again I tried to convince Stephen I was pregnant and that we should buy some tests, he said "no let's wait another week, these tests might just be a dollar, but you take them so often they add up." Granted I had taken one a week earlier and gotten a negative, but still. I made a deal. If we bought one, and I wasn't pregnant, I would rub his back for 20 minutes. If I was, he'd have to do mine. When it came to testing, I couldn't bare to look at the usual one line that stared me back. Instead I made him look and I ran into the bedroom. He waited a second, and then came in and said "well, it looks like I owe you a backrub."
I'm 12 weeks, we're due December 1st. This happens to have been the exact due date for my mother's first two kids as well. Seeing that my birthday's November 27th, perhaps I could have a birthday suprise.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

YAY!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you! Dec 1 is a great day! Julia would love a birthday buddy. :) How are you feeling?

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, congrats Rachel! How many tests have you taken since the positive one?
(I had to 're-check' a few times)...

Well, December is definitely a fantastic month to be born. After all, I was born that blessed month (the 11th, so shoot for that...actually, you have a good chance for that date - due dates are just guesses, and a lot of first time mommies go over by a week or more).

Keep us updated! In just a few weeks you'll know whether it's a boy, a girl or a hermaphrodite! So exciting.

Kim said...

YAAAY! Congratulations, Rachel! Look at you, my crazy fun roommate, all grown up and having a baby. :) So excited for you!

Amy said...

How exciting for you guys :) You will be a very fun mommy! We are counting down the weeks for our little one now--seems like so far to go, but a little too close too (haha--7 weeks)!

PS. I was thinking about you the other day because my brother goes into the MTC on June 3rd--in 2 weeks and my mom was just telling me about the mission email/newsletter that he received from your mother-in-law :) Small world! And congrats again on the happy news!

Mary said...

Congratulations again! It is weird to think of my baby sister having a baby. You were the cutest baby with chubby cheeks.
Are you feeling any better? I can't wait to see you soon!

Stephanie said...

Rachel!!!! Yaay!!! im so excited for you i want to jump up and down!!! are you doing okay? do you need anything? what dr. are you going to? ahhh im freakin out!

Ruth said...

You're going to be the best mom ever! I can't wait!!!

joseph and brianna said...

Congrats Rach!!! That is awesome!!!

Astromom said...

I'm glad you got the story recorded in writing, just put it in your journal too, for your baby.