Thursday, February 19, 2009

embracing ambiquity


Last semester my professor mentioned in passing a theorist who crtiqued the modern western mindset way of knowing. The aspect that was most striking to me was our obsession with control, and our fear of what we can't control, or simply dismiss it as insanity.
This theorist suggested that there are other ways of knowing. Instead of shunning what we don't know, we embrace the ambiguity.

hmm
oh
next topic to which I'm too lazy to make a new post:

I hate it when people say "we can always do better :)" (I put the smile in their because it seems they always this with a plastered fake smile on their face exactly like a keyboard :) which I always use painfully in g-chat because i am constricted to a keyboard) oh but wait I'm not done with my overuse of parentheses (my district in the MTC would when I was gone put smiley faces on every page of my notebooks just because they knew I despised smiley faces and thought that was a sign that I needed more happiness in my life. once while we were kneeling praying in a circle I opened my eyes to see the whole district with smiley faces on paper over their faces all right up close to me. haha, speaking of being freaked out. okay the end of parentheses )

we can't always do better
it's impossible
to always be able to do better
we have limits
whether or not
you want to admit it
we do
and so
we might just very well be doing our best

granted
we might
always know better
but that's an entirely different issue

if I sound like I'm ranting it's because I get this way when I listen to Neil Young's "Southern Man"


what to take with you from this post?

We can't control our lives

wow that was a jump but was the purpose of this distracted post

5 comments:

hosander said...

I liked this post, I approve of limiting our chances at improvement

Ruth said...

quite interesting. enjoy the simple things.

thank you.

Charles said...

A pretty ambiguous post, Rachel! :--) But I'll embrace it.

Are you touching somewhat on chaos theory? (See the wikipedia article on it.) I remember reading a book (that may have even been a title) about it in the 1980s. I loved the idea of the butterfly effect.

Then, if you extrapolate it out further to religious thought about God's omniscience, it's gives us a hint about what God's power might be--perhaps a topic for another day.

Mary said...

I have a hard time embracing ambiguity and going forth with faith. I just want to see the end from the beginning. Thanks for letting me know that I can always do better.

Rachel Leslie said...

Hmm interesting. I had not heard of chaos theory earlier, but there might be some overlap. They both seem to touch on the idea of other dementions.