Monday, September 8, 2014

Reverence is quietly sitting . . . and thinking about ice cream

So Stephen and I have made leaps and bounds in our parenting and have finally figured it out. Once opposed to bribery, we have now embraced our once called foe and given him a place of honor in our household. Honestly, I like my kids a little on the wild side, as long as they are still kind. There is something about church and the whole it's hard-to-feel-the-spirit-when-wrestling thing that has humbled us. After finding that even visits to the chapel during the week to practice real reverence haven't work, we went for the no-brainer and have started bribing our kids with ice cream. Yup, good bye internal motivation you took to long to come. Granted Simeon hasn't quite caught on and perhaps one day Christian will realize that blended frozen bananas and berries with a touch of vanilla shouldn't really count as ice cream, but until then be prepared to watch Christian sit through an entire sacrament meeting. Other news. I cleaned my house, well the front room. Weaning Joshua. Purposely ignored the boys today and just looked on my phone so that they'd remember how to play without me. It took a while of me refusing to be a pirate, but pretty soon they were imagining by themselves. I was pretty impressed with their hand holding on the way to school, and finally when they started to play house. Christian was the dad, Simeon was the big brother and Joshua was the baby. I was suppose to be the sister and of course "The grandpa, uncle and mom are dead." How did they die you ask? "The Grandfather died in war, and the mother and uncle died of allergies." Laughed today when I remembered Christian at age three asking "Hymn books? Why don't we have her-books?".

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Sweet, sweet boys - oh the joys of Sacrament Meeting with little ones...