Thursday, April 9, 2009

too perfect

Sometimes I think I've learned more in heated debates and observations in the grad lab, than in any class I've taken. Oh how I will miss my grad lab conversations when this semester ends and some of my favorites will be defending their thesis and moving on. sigh.

One of the guys in the lab just shared this great video that just touches on so many of my soap-box issues I had to share with all of you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD-c6cx98ls

p.s. this is the edited version. Listen to the words, they are a little more blunt than I usually listen to, but pertinent to most issues in sociology.

2 comments:

Mary said...

So I watched the edited version, but made the mistake of reading some of the comments which weren't edited. Oops! I should know better because it seems that people that make comments on Youtube have about a 4-letter vocabulary which includes the most awful language imaginable. What makes me mad is they even make awful comments like that on very G-rated material Barney or Calliou (you can tell what I watch on Youtube with my 3 year old).

Rachel Leslie said...

For Mary, and anyone else interested I will write my own comments about the movie, but any four letter words I write are appropriate even for little abby and maddy.

The movie was excellent in showing the modern/postmodern world

Notice the ambiguity, especially the moral ambiguity she demonstrate of not knowing what is real or what is right.
The guy stare (girls being socialized to look at themselves the way guys see them)
Emptiness of consumption and lack of meaningful purpose.

smokescreens in the end

her jolly prancing despite the seriousness of her surroundings (end with cloudy sky)

Her acting like a little innocent girl but her words demonstrating anything but that.

I love that the men are accessories.

anyway, that's why I enjoyed it.